The Identity Myth
Think of something you do that you can honestly say isn’t done with 100% commitment and choice. It may be something you do at work or at home. It may be visiting relatives or shopping with your spouse or drinking with work colleagues on a Friday night.
Write as much detail as possible:
- how often you do it, how long it takes, how long you have been doing it.
- What are the actual benefits of doing it?
- Now write the reasons you give yourself and others for doing it.
- Outline the actual cost of continuing to do it. This can be expressed in financial terms but also in emotional, health or psychological terms.
- What would happen if you no longer did it?
- What are the real reasons that you continue to do it?